Saturday 14 May 2016

traffick jam

Looking into the eyes of a lost soul
but it isn't lost
it was taken
looking into the eyes of innocence
but it's no longer there
it was stolen long ago
looking into the eyes of a nameless face
a hidden statistic
a lost girl
and my heart cries on her behalf
tears she no longer sheds
emotions she can no longer feel
and I imagine the countless invisible scars inside
unseen damage that will never heal
and I scold myself for my empathy
patronising and naive
I could not possibly understand
the horrors and torment
the fear and pain
and I can not erase the memories
and triggers that haunt her still
and I wonder if she can be saved
if ever again her lips will smile
and her eyes sparkle
whether her laugh will ever again be heard
and if ever when she says 'I'm ok' it will be the truth
and anger erupts inside me
for the nameless girl
and every other child whose life has been pawned for someone else's twisted reality
whose flesh has been sold
for their greed and debts
whose innocence was abused
in an inconceivable and monstrous way
whose body was pumped so full of concoctions
that I can only pray it momentarily dulled the pain
such a nightmarish life
how could they ever close their eyes safely again?
Looking into the eyes of strength
and I see a survivor
and I'm glad it's my eyes she sees.

No comments:

Post a Comment