Saturday 14 May 2016

it's all about perspective

and the sun rose today, smiling
the smug smile of schadenfreude
the knowledge and wisdom of it's perspective
gives it surveillance no one can avoid
and the birds are singing today
their melancholy tune
mimicking the sad songs of my heart
all knowing from their bird's eye view
and even the sky is taking part
overwhelmed by the murky grey clouds
I see pity in the colours there
a guilt that says ' I'm not proud'
the trees whisper to the gossiping wind
and the rain drops a scattered confession
the whole world has watched my life unravel
they have observed my unfolding depression
they have laughed at my naiveties
and my lack of visual aspect
they have conspired to see me fail
and have unjustly kept their secrets
but tell me sun and wind and sky
from upon your judgemental thrones?
I can tell you how it feels to have loved and lost
please tell me how it feels to be alone.

1 comment:

  1. I like the way this poem opens as if continuing a conversation – as life continues – and the way the tone changes so quickly in the opening line with the phrase ‘smug smile of schadenfreude’. (by the way, ‘it’s’ is the contraction of ‘it is’ – its should be ‘its perspective’), and later with the birds mimicking sad songs. I love the idea of rain drops’ ‘scattered confession’, and the ending is a sucker punch.

    ReplyDelete